Fees, Funding & Bursaries

Costs and Bursaries Explained 

Generous, tax-free funding is available to graduates training in a range of subjects. Alternatively, you could earn a salary while you train with School Direct Salaried. Your eligibility for financial support, and the amount you can expect to receive, will depend on the subject in which you train and your degree classification.

You will need a first, 2:1 or 2:2 (or equivalent) to be eligible for a bursary. If you do not have this class of degree or equivalent, you can still access Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans to help fund your training and cover tuition fees. An overview of the bursaries available to train in different subjects can be found below.

Postgraduate Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans

If you are looking to train on a non-salaried postgraduate teacher training course but are not eligible to receive a bursary or scholarship to fund your teacher training, there are other forms of financial support. Tuition fee and maintenance loans are available to help you successfully complete your training year and start your new career.


Tuition fees and any other financial support you might receive will depend on your status as a home, EU/EEA or oversees student. Make sure you are aware of the level of support you are eligible for before you apply for teacher training.

Tuition Fee Loans

Tuition fees will vary depending on the course you are on and your chosen training provider. Home and EU/EEA students may be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of tuition fees. This is available through Student Finance England. You won’t have to pay the cost of tuition charges up front and you will only repay the loan once you are in full time employment and earning about £21,000.

To calculate an estimate of your loan repayments, go to GOV.UK

Maintenance Loan

You may also be eligible for a student maintenance loan to help towards accommodation and other living costs - amounts are dependent on household income and if you are living with your parents.

If you are an EU/EEA national, you may be eligible for help with living costs, and you could apply for a maintenance loan as a UK national if you have been living in the UK for more than 5 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course.

You can find out more about maintenance loans on GOV.UK